About Biocytogen Boston Animal Facility
- The facility provides preclinical services and resources for investigators looking to accomplish animal research objectives at Biocytgen Boston. The facility is operated under the guidance from our attending veterinarian, to provide proper animals care and use, in accordance with AAALAC regulations.
- Biocytogen Boston has established an Institutional Care and Use Committee (IACUC) to oversee the company’s animal program, facility, and projects involving the use of animals. The IACUC serves as the approval body for all protocols involving animal research, and assists scientists and staff in upholding Biocytogen Boston’s commitment to providing the finest care and most humane utilization of laboratory animals.
- Entrance into the animal facility is limited to investigators and staff with approved key card access and is monitored. Animal users must complete Introductory Level 1 Training Quiz and Facility Orientation prior to gaining key card access.
- To ensure the security of the animals, facility entrance is kept closed and monitored by video camera.
Animal Facility Overview
- A single barrier facility with 4 Animal Holding Rooms and 1100 cage capacity using Innorack IVC Mouse 3.5 system.
- Immuno-competent and immuno-deficient mice are housed in different rooms.
- All live portion of preclinical studies are performed within the animal facility and animals are not held overnight in areas other than the facility.
Innorack IVC Mouse 3.5 system
The Innorack® IVC Mouse 3.5 is a top-of-the-line ventilated rodent housing system designed to house Innovive disposable IVC cages. The Innovive IVC mouse rack offers dual HEPA-filtered ventilation, transversal airflow, positive/negative modes of operation, and a dynamic digital controller with remote management capabilities – all while providing a high quality environment for your animals.
Animal Handling Room
Animal handling is only performed under either Class II A2 Biological Safety Cabinets or Cage Changing station.
IVIS Lumina LT In Vivo Imaging System
Equipped with full bioluminscence, radioisoptic (Cerenkov) imaging capabilities for 2D imaging and standard fluorescence.
Institutional Care and Use Committee (IACUC)
- This committee, appointed by the Institute Official of Biocytogen Boston, is responsible for overseeing the humane care of and animal use at Biocytogen Boston Animal Facility, as described in the National Research Council’s Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals and the United States Animal Welfare Act.
- The IACUC meets semi-annually to review new and amended research protocols, develop policy, and investigate allegations of animal misuse. The IACUC also conducts a semi-annual review of all animal housing and use locations and the animal care program.
- All use of animals in research is restricted to specific uses and experimental procedures described in an Animal Use Protocol (AUP) that is approved by the IACUC.
- All use of animals at Biocytogen Boston Animal Facility must be described in an application that is submitted to this committee approval process. Animals may not be purchased or housed at Biocytogen Boston Animal Facility without protocol approval from the IACUC.