The immunodeficient B-NDG mouse model (NOD-Prkdcscid IL2rgtm1/Bcgen) was independently designed and generated by Biocytogen. B-NDG mice are generated by deleting the IL2rg gene from NOD-scid mice (NSG mice) with severe immunodeficiency phenotype. Lacking mature T cells, B cells or functional NK cells, and displaying cytokine signaling deficiencies, this mouse model has the highest degree of immunodeficiency and thus is most suitable for engraft and growth of human hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and human tumor cells or tissues.
- NOD-scid or NSG mice (non-obese diabetes, severe combined immunodeficiency) genetic background: mice of NOD genetic background and with Prkdc (protein kinase DNA-activated catalytic) knockout. Functional T cells, B cells and the complement system in these mice are lost, and the activity of NK cells is greatly weakened.
- IL2rg null: the gamma chain of Interleukin-2 receptor (IL-2R γc, also called CD132) is on the mouse X chromosome, and is the common receptor subunit of cytokines IL2, IL-4, IL-7, IL-9, IL-15 and IL-21 with important immune functions. After IL2r is knocked out, mouse immunity function is greatly weakened, activities of NK cells, which are almost completely lost.
- Prkdc null (DNAPK, scid): Prkdc (protein kinase DNA-activated catalytic) null mutation is characterized by significantly deficient of functional T cells and B cells, and an absence of lymphocytes, recapitulating severe combined immunodeficiency (scid) in human patients.
Advantages of B-NDG Mice
- Model currently holds the highest degree of immunodeficiency among all immunodeficiency models
- Longer lifespan than NOD-scid or NSG mice; 1.5 years on average
- Minimal to absent rejection of human-derived cells and tissues
- More efficient for CDX model generation
- No B lymphocyte leakage
- Human-derived cell or tissue engraftment
- Tumor and tumor stem cell research
- ES and iPS cell research
- Hematopoiesis and immunology studies
- Human infectious disease studies
- Development of humanized models
B-NDG-Based Mouse Models
B-NDG Background Mouse Models